The Democratic demands for Andrew Cuomo to resign have become a stampede, which is all the more reason for New York’s Governor to resist. Even unpopular politicians deserve due process, especially when former idolaters turn as quickly as progressives have on Mr. Cuomo.
We have no brief for the Governor, whose record on Covid-19 has been one of the country’s worst. His excessive and arbitrary lockdowns have done enormous harm to thousands of businesses and millions of people. His administration’s guidance that nursing homes had to accept Covid patients from hospitals led to many needless deaths. Then his administration lied about it.
Yet everyone has known all this for months, even as the press nominated Mr. Cuomo for COVID sainthood. The Washington Post retired the adorer’s cup: “Can Andrew Cuomo become FDR?” He won an Emmy for his media briefings, of all things, and a lucrative book contract for self-serving musings on the pandemic and leadership.
The new media consensus is that Mr. Cuomo is a bully who runs a “toxic” workplace and harasses women. A bully? You don’t say. Mr. Cuomo has been Governor for 10 years. He has bullied reporters in plain sight from the beginning, and threatened politicians who dared to criticize him, yet in the local press only the New York Post has taken him on.
- [LLODO] Ariz. AG Mark Brnovich: Supreme Court vs. cancel culture – here’s how justices can strike a blow for liberty
- [LLODO] Ian Prior: Critical race theory in Virginia schools needs to end. I’m a parent watching this unfold
- [LLODO] Eli Steele: Georgia’s political confusion sparks pain for everyday people
- [LLODO] Greg Gutfeld: The toxic, media-driven narrative about policing rides again
- [LLODO] Jason C. Johnson: Repealing the police ‘Bill of Rights’ was wrong – Don’t follow Maryland’s lead
- [LLODO] Dr. Saphier & Chaffetz: Big Tech vs. science – suppressing debate hurts fight against COVID. Here’s how
- [LLODO] David Bossie: Democrats’ China syndrome – this is why they’re tough on Georgia, soft on communists in Beijing
- [LLODO] WSJ Editorial Board: YouTube’s assault on COVID accountability
- [LLODO] Newt Gingrich: The truth about Georgia’s voting law and the mainstream media’s lies