Everett firefighter Gary Parks, 48, died on Feb. 16, 1987 while responding to a fire at Everett Community College, the Everett Police Department said. Parks, an 18-year-veteran of the fire department, became separated from five other firefighters while battling the blaze in the college library before he became trapped and died.
The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) assisted local authorities with processing the scene of the fire and determined it was intentionally set.
Several underage boys were thought to have entered the library through an open window and purposefully started the fire, police said. Investigators never gave up and periodically revisited the case over the years. After multiple interviews with Elmer Nash Jr., 46, he admitted to starting the blaze.
“Eventually, Nash confessed to starting the fatal fire and expressed concern that he hadn’t intended to hurt anyone,” police said.
He plesded guilty to murder charges Thursday.
“After 34 years, the City of Everett will finally see someone held accountable for the loss of our Firefighter Gary Parks, who died in the service of our community,” said Everett Mayor Cassie Franklin. “I commend our city teams for working tirelessly to crack the case and continue towards resolution in this tragic event.”
In a statement, Everett Fire Chief Dave DeMarco said the “generation of Everett Firefighters who worked with Gary have retired, but the memory of his loss is woven into the culture of the Everett Fire Department.”
- [LLODO] NYPD officers hit with Molotov cocktail and liquid chemical in face, police say
- [LLODO] Grand jury in Daniel Prude death voted 15-5 to clear 3 cops
- [LLODO] NYC murder suspect mistakenly released more than a month ago finally caught again
- [LLODO] ‘It hurts us all’: Vigil held for employees slain during FedEx shooting
- [LLODO] California mom who confessed to killing her kids said she ‘social justice warrior’ against human trafficking
- [LLODO] Father of teen busted with AK-47 in Times Square was killed in police shootout
- [LLODO] California mother accused of killing children admits to drowning them in shocking jailhouse confession
- [LLODO] Kyle Rittenhouse donations came from police, public officials: report
- [LLODO] Mother of Daunte Wright’s son, 2, ‘really hurt’ because he doesn’t have a father after fatal police shooting