Warnock’s campaign said that the senator has raised more than $5.7 million from more than 100,000 supporters since his election in Georgia’s twin Jan. 5 runoff contests, with roughly $5.6 million in his coffers.
The Democrats’ sweep in the Georgia runoffs – Warnock’s victory over appointed GOP Sen. Kelly Loeffler and Democratic challenger Jon Ossoff’s defeat of Republican incumbent Sen. David Perdue — evened the balance of power in the chamber at 50/50 between the two parties. The Democrats took the majority two weeks later, when then-Sen. Kamala Harris was sworn in as vice president. Thanks to her tie breaking vote as president of the Senate, the Democrats grabbed a razor-thin majority.
While Ossoff won a full six-year Senate term, Warnock is serving the final two years of retired GOP Sen. Johnny Isakson’s term.
Republicans, needing a net gain of just one seat to regain the Senate majority, see Warnock as one of the most vulnerable Democrats running for reelection next year.
Warnock’s massive fundraising haul, first reported by the Atlanta Journal Constitution, follows his fundraising prowess in 2020, when the first-time candidate and pastor of Atlanta’s famed Ebenezer Baptist Church brought in nearly $150 million during the special election and runoff election campaigns.
The Senate race in Georgia is likely to be one of the most competitive and expensive showdowns in the 2022 midterms. National Republicans have already launched ads targeting Warnock.
Two Republicans – military veterans Kelvin King and Latham Saddle – have already launched campaigns.
Loeffler has left the door open to a rematch with Warnock, and former Rep. Doug Collins, who ran in last year’s special Senate election and came in third behind Warnock and Loeffler in the November contest, is also mulling a Republican challenge.
Herschel Walker, the former star college and professional football player who has been encouraged by former President Trump to run, said in a Fox News interview on Sunday that he’s considering a bid.
- [LLODO] MLB should return All-Star Game to Atlanta, conservative group says: ‘Baseball went broke for wokeism’
- [LLODO] Vernon Jones, Georgia Dem-turned-Republican, to challenge Kemp for governor’s seat
- [LLODO] Georgia police release video of suspect opening fire on officers during chase
- [LLODO] Georgia election official warns Biden to stop ‘lies’ about voting law: ‘Someone is going to get hurt’
- [LLODO] Man killed in Georgia after lunging at officers with knife: police
- [LLODO] Georgia officers shot during police chase; 1 suspect dead, another in custody, officials say
- [LLODO] MLB commissioner decided to move All-Star Game after pressure from Stacey Abrams on voting issues: sources
- [LLODO] Georgia Democratic Reps. McBath, Bourdeaux silent after MLB pulls game from their area
- [LLODO] Georgia sheriff’s deputy fatally stabbed by handcuffed inmate; another wounded, authorities say