A high school in Henrico County, Virginia, was temporarily on lockdown Friday after a young girl was shot multiple times a short distance away, according to reports.
The suspect was described by Henrico police as a Black male, 5-foot-8, 125 pounds, wearing a hooded sweatshirt with camouflage on the bottom, the newspaper reported. He was last seen fleeing on foot, the report said.
A spring football game scheduled for the high school on Friday night was called off, the report said.
The shooting occurred in a neighborhood of quiet streets and large homes, surrounded by trees, where children are often seen playing, the president of the local neighborhood association told the Times-Dispatch.
“The whole neighborhood is going to be traumatized by this,” Megan Cinder said. She told the newspaper that she heard five to eight gunshots while she was inside her garage around 4:30 p.m.
Police confirmed the girl died in a news release issued around 9:30 p.m., WRIC-TV of Richmond reported.
A witness whose name was withheld told WRIC he saw two girls being followed by a man, a distance away. After he heard shots, he found one girl with gunshot wounds and tried to administer CPR before emergency responders arrived.
- [LLODO] Virginia teacher says critical race theory has damaged community as frustrated parents demand changes
- [LLODO] CDC investigating death possibly connected to Johnson & Johnson vaccine
- [LLODO] Virginia AG launches civil rights probe after Black Army medic pepper-sprayed by police
- [LLODO] Virginia parents group launches PAC to unseat school board members over reopening, race controversies
- [LLODO] Virginia governor candidate boosts down-ballot Republicans with PAC money, says state ‘ready for a new day’
- [LLODO] Justin Fairfax accuses former Ex-Virginia governor McAuliffe of treating him like George Floyd
- [LLODO] New York man drinks too much tequila, mistakes counterterrorism center for hotel
- [LLODO] Deer bolts through Virginia school bus windshield, crashes into sleeping student in surveillance video
- [LLODO] Charlottesville can remove Confederate statues, Virginia’s highest court rules