The assault comes amid an uptick in anti-Asian crimes in the area and a rash of car burglaries the San Francisco police said the three attackers may be connected to, KGO-TV in the Bay Area reported.
“These random acts of violence targeting our Asian community members are no accident and they must end,” San Francisco Police Officers Association President Tony Montoya, said. “The SFPOA stands with our Asian community and all San Franciscans in wanting these perpetrators to be caught and held accountable.”
The union is offering a $2,500 reward for information leading to an arrest.
“Oh my God, he looks so scared. It’s horrible and so concerning,” a neighboring business owner told the station. “It’s so hard to watch…an old man shoved down like that is so helpless.”
The unidentified man was robbed of a couple hundred dollars after the assailants pulled him by his legs from a chair he was sitting in at the laundromat and continued to hold him upside-down on the floor as they rifled through his pockets for money.
The man was attacked on Feb. 23 around 10 p.m. near Chinatown and the Nob Hill neighborhood.
Video of a 91-year-old man in nearby Oakland’s Chinatown being pushed to the ground earlier last month also sparked outrage.
The attack was among around two dozen recently reported assaults and robberies in the neighborhood, according to KGO.
A local TV reporter was robbed of his camera at gunpoint Wednesday while he was covering a spade of car break-ins in San Francisco’s Twin Peaks neighborhood, his station, KPIX-TV, reported.
The area is around 6 miles from Chinatown.
“I was worried that this is what’s gonna happen, because as thieves get more and more brazen, they do more and more brazenly things,” a Twin Peaks resident told the station. “I’m not making that up. We just had that experience today.”
- [LLODO] Missing California mother’s family holds prayer march: ‘We will bring Maya home and justice will be served’
- [LLODO] California mother suspected of killing 3 kids ‘unwell’ for months, family member says; father ‘devastated’
- [LLODO] Missing California mother’s family, friends and coworkers hold massive search
- [LLODO] Missing California mother Maya Millete sought advice about divorce attorneys on day she went missing
- [LLODO] Former California Democratic mayor arrested for sexual assault crimes against minor
- [LLODO] California’s iconic Highway 1 to reopen ahead of schedule after mudslide damage
- [LLODO] Quick-thinking California cop turns up heat on knife-wielding suspect in Oakland airport
- [LLODO] Missing California mother’s brother-in-law: I’ve ‘lost all faith’ in Chula Vista PD, but ‘we will not give up’
- [LLODO] California man accused of propping up dead wife for kids on Christmas is convicted of murder: DA