The suspect involved in the shooting was shot and killed during the violent bullet exchange, the Salt Lake Sheriff County’s office told Fox News.
One officer is believed to have returned fire.
One officer remains in critical but stable condition after being shot through the eye, while the second officer remains in stable condition after also being shot in the head.
Both officers will survive their injuries the Salt Lake County Sheriff’s Office told Fox News.
Rivera said the officers were a part of a campus security team patroling the area when they encountered the suspect on the lawn north of the Sheriff’s Office Building.
A fight then ensued.
“These types of incidents are really devastating for the department,” Rivera said. “We hope and we pray that our deputies will be OK.”
“The environment for law enforcement right now is extremely dangerous, and we know that.”
Utah-based security officials are still investigating the motive behind the incident.
The deceased suspect is believed to be in his 30’s, but his identity remains unknown, Rivera said.
Check back on this developing story.
- [LLODO] San Antonio police officer shot in hand; 2 suspects dead, third injured
- [LLODO] California police bodycam footage captures homicide suspect firing at motorcycle officer
- [LLODO] Florida deputy hit by passing truck during traffic stop caught on camera
- [LLODO] Family of Tamir Rice pleads with Justice Department to reopen case into 12-year-old’s death
- [LLODO] Body of US Capitol Officer William Evans returns to Massachusetts hometown
- [LLODO] Murders soared as police ‘pulled back’ amid 2020 protests in major cities, report finds
- [LLODO] Iowa man accused in state trooper’s shooting death ran for sheriff
- [LLODO] Ben Crump: Police, especially in Minnesota, should be on ‘their greatest behavior’
- [LLODO] Democratic Sen. Tim Kaine distances himself from Rashida Tlaib ‘No more policing’ tweet