A Burlington Northern Santa Fe (BNSF) train collided with an 18-wheeler outside Cameron, Texas, on Tuesday morning, police confirmed to Fox News.
An explosion occurred as a result of the crash, and authorities have labeled the collision a hazmat situation, according to the Cameron Police Department.
The BNSF train was carrying mixed freight and derailed near Hoyte. The train was struck by a semi-truck, “which impacted a [train] car carrying gasoline,” BNSF Railways Senior Director of External Communications Courtney Wallace confirmed to Fox News.
Out of a total 110 train cars, 13 derailed, Wallace said, citing initial reports. Five train cars that were carrying gasoline are still on fire.
“There were no injuries to the crew or truck driver. Local first responders and BNSF personnel are onsite to respond to the incident,” Wallace said. “Out of an abundance of caution, local authorities have established a half-mile radius evacuation zone near the site. The cause is under investigation.”
Police first received communication about the crash around 6:45 a.m. CT and sent out mutual aid to first responders at the scene.
Milam County Sheriff Chris White will be sharing more information about the collision later this morning.
Police are evacuating nearby houses and telling people in the area to avoid Highway 90.
This is a breaking news story. Please check back for updates.
- [LLODO] Texas House moves forward with no-permit carry bill
- [LLODO] San Antonio police shoot, kill gunman at airport terminal
- [LLODO] Suspect captured in shooting of Texas police officer during traffic stop
- [LLODO] San Antonio airport on lockdown, police confirm shooting
- [LLODO] Texas dad drowns while saving two sons from riptide: ‘My soul has been ripped from my body,’ wife says
- [LLODO] Texas police officer shot multiple times during traffic stop
- [LLODO] Texas Rep. Kevin Brady, top Republican on powerful Ways and Means committee, to retire from Congress
- [LLODO] Texas Gov. Abbott warns border woes ‘will get worse,’ points to ‘bipartisan response’ to Biden admin
- [LLODO] Texas Gov. Abbott sends letter to VP Harris demanding migrant facility shutdown