Multiple law enforcement vehicles were seen in the area soon after the gunfire, a reporter with KBTX-TV of Bryan, Texas, posted on Twitter. A pickup truck was seen parked in the area as well, other reports said.
The trooper’s medical condition was not immediately known and it was unclear if any suspects had been apprehended.
The shooting occurred along Highway 84, KWTX-TV of Waco reported.
Mexia is about 85.5 miles south of downtown Dallas and about 42 miles east of Waco.
This is a developing story. Check back for updates.
- [LLODO] Texas House moves forward with no-permit carry bill
- [LLODO] San Antonio police shoot, kill gunman at airport terminal
- [LLODO] Suspect captured in shooting of Texas police officer during traffic stop
- [LLODO] San Antonio airport on lockdown, police confirm shooting
- [LLODO] Texas dad drowns while saving two sons from riptide: ‘My soul has been ripped from my body,’ wife says
- [LLODO] Texas police officer shot multiple times during traffic stop
- [LLODO] Texas Rep. Kevin Brady, top Republican on powerful Ways and Means committee, to retire from Congress
- [LLODO] Texas Gov. Abbott warns border woes ‘will get worse,’ points to ‘bipartisan response’ to Biden admin
- [LLODO] Texas Gov. Abbott sends letter to VP Harris demanding migrant facility shutdown