The unnamed trooper was hospitalized in critical condition, with unspecified wounds, while a manhunt was underway to track down the suspect, who remained at large, Sgt. Ryan Howard of the Texas Department of Public Safety told KWTX-TV of Waco, Texas.
Multiple law enforcement vehicles were seen in the area soon after the gunfire, a reporter with KBTX-TV of Bryan, Texas, posted on Twitter. A pickup truck was seen parked in the area as well, other reports said.
Early Saturday, the Texas Department of Public Safety issued an alert regarding the suspect, calling him “armed and dangerous.”
The trooper’s medical condition was not immediately known and it was unclear if any suspects had been apprehended.
The shooting occurred along Highway 84, KWTX-TV of Waco reported.
Mexia is about 85.5 miles south of downtown Dallas and about 42 miles east of Waco.
This is a developing story. Check back for updates.
- [LLODO] Seattle massage parlor shooting leaves 1 employee wounded; robbery suspects flee: reports
- [LLODO] Tacoma food bank receives ‘truckloads’ of donations after burglar steals laptops, touches food, defecates
- [LLODO] New Mexico man wanted in connection to 5 killings across 2 states caught in Missouri, authorities say
- [LLODO] Yale student Kevin Jiang’s murder: US Marshals launch ‘nationwide manhunt’ for suspect Qinxuan Pan
- [LLODO] Georgia deputies wounded in shooting; 2 suspects in custody after overnight manhunt
- [LLODO] Georgia deputy airlifted in critical condition, another wounded in shooting; manhunt underway: reports
- [LLODO] MIT grad student sought in Yale slaying allegedly stole SUV on day of murder