“Unaccompanied children that arrive at our border have already endured dangerous conditions at home and a treacherous journey to get here,” Cornyn, a Republican, said in a statement after Texas Gov. Greg Abbott announced the allegations during a news conference.
Abbott had demanded the Biden administration close the San Antonio facility after he said he received tips about child sex abuse and insufficient food at the Freeman Coliseum facility. He has already called on the state’s Department of Public Safety and the Texas Rangers to launch their own investigation.
“The fact that any child would experience abuse in the care of the U.S. government is despicable,” Cornyn said. “The HHS Inspector General must fully investigate these allegations and the treatment of children at this facility.”
Cornyn has personally visited four migrant facilities housing unaccompanied minors in recent days and said he plans to visit a fifth this week.
The abuse allegations were limited to the San Antonio facility – an event center that has been temporarily converted to house unaccompanied minors amid a worsening border crisis.
Critics have blamed President Biden for the crisis – noting his decision to end Trump-era border policies and his proposal to create a pathway to citizenship for illegal immigrants.
Biden’s Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas warned last month that the border could see more migrants than at any time in the last 20 years. But Biden later downplayed those concerns and said it is normal to see a surge in migrants between January and March.
- [LLODO] CBP intercepts counterfeit N95 masks worth $350G that originated in China
- [LLODO] Arizona AG Brnovich calls for state of emergency in response to border crisis
- [LLODO] Stories from the border: A midnight ride-along with border agents
- [LLODO] GOP senators release more video footage of southern border visit
- [LLODO] Hundreds of migrants caught at US-Mexico border as video of young boy raises pressure on Biden administration
- [LLODO] VP Harris visits Chicago bakery even as border crisis escalates
- [LLODO] Texas AG defends ‘public charge’ rule on immigrants, public assistance dropped by Biden
- [LLODO] Sen. Hoeven: Illegal immigrants being given court dates ‘three to four years’ away, as crisis worsens
- [LLODO] Border Patrol canine sniffs out $60G worth of fentanyl hidden inside burritos