DeArthur Pinson Jr., who was being sought in connection with the shooting of Trooper Chad Walker, apparently took his own life, authorities said Saturday.
Pinson had evaded capture after the incident near Mexia, Limestone County, even after an expanded search was launched and a Blue Alert was issued.
Fox News could not immediately reach the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS), but the Officer’s Association said the “Suspect is deceased” in a Facebook post Saturday night.
Limestone County Judge Richard Duncan told KXXV-TV of Waco that Pinson’s death was a suicide.
The group said the shooting of the trooper happened around 8 p.m. Friday when Walker responded to a “motorist assist” alert. Walker pulled up behind a disabled vehicle but was fired upon before he was able to park his car.
“Before Trooper Walker could stop his patrol unit [the suspect] immediately emerged from the driver’s seat of the disabled vehicle armed with a handgun and fired multiple rounds at Trooper Walker through the patrol unit’s windshield,” the Officers Association said.
Walker was hit in the head and the abdomen.
The suspect, believed to have been Pinson, then retrieved a black backpack from his car before fleeing the scene on foot.
Pinson, from Palestine, Texas, had a long criminal history, including a 10-year sentence for armed robbery and an arrest for desertion from the U.S. Army, KXXV reported.
According to the most recent post by the group on Walker’s health, the trooper remained in “stable but critical condition.”
Walker is married with a 15-year-old son, twin 7-year-old daughters and a 2-month-old daughter.
If you or someone you know is having thoughts of suicide, please contact the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255).
- [LLODO] Texas police officer shot multiple times during traffic stop
- [LLODO] Texas dad drowns while saving two sons from riptide: ‘My soul has been ripped from my body,’ wife says
- [LLODO] Texas Rep. Kevin Brady, top Republican on powerful Ways and Means committee, to retire from Congress
- [LLODO] Texas Gov. Abbott warns border woes ‘will get worse,’ points to ‘bipartisan response’ to Biden admin
- [LLODO] Texas Gov. Abbott sends letter to VP Harris demanding migrant facility shutdown
- [LLODO] Former Dallas police officer released from jail, has murder charges dropped: report
- [LLODO] Bryan, Texas mass shooting leaves at least one dead, others seriously injured, including state DPS officer
- [LLODO] Bryan, Texas mass shooting leaves at least one dead, others critically injured
- [LLODO] Texas police launch manhunt after Bryan mass shooting leaves at least 6 injured, some critically