Eight illegal immigrants have been pronounced dead in Texas after the truck they were traveling in crashed head-on with another vehicle, officials say.
The fatal accident occurred Monday afternoon about 30 miles north of Del Rio, a city on the U.S.-Mexico border.
“Preliminary investigation revealed a red Dodge pickup was evading from DPS troopers traveling on US 277 when it caused a head-on collision with a white Ford F-150,” the Texas Department of Public Safety said in a statement to Fox News. “Due to injuries sustained, 8 undocumented passengers from the Dodge pickup were pronounced deceased on scene.”
It was not immediately clear why the DPS troopers initially launched a pursuit of the truck. The department did not respond to a request from Fox News for further comment.
It said though that the “driver and a child passenger from the Ford pickup and one undocumented passenger from the Dodge pickup were transported to a hospital in San Antonio and are in stable condition.”
The driver of the truck carrying the migrants also tried to flee on foot following the crash, but was taken into custody, officials added.
The crash remains under investigation.
- [LLODO] Border Patrol agents in Texas discover 18 adults, 2 kids hiding under a truck’s trailer boards
- [LLODO] Psaki: ‘No basis’ for calls to shut down Texas child migrant facility
- [LLODO] Texas man pleads guilty to smuggling 119 illegal immigrants in refrigerated trailer
- [LLODO] Burgess Owens tells Biden, Harris to ‘get some backbone,’ visit border region
- [LLODO] Democrats who downplayed suspected terrorists at border remain silent as agents keep catching more
- [LLODO] GOP rep urges HHS to halt reported plan to release child migrants before background checks completed
- [LLODO] Biden staffer blocks Ted Cruz from taking video at migrant facility
- [LLODO] Sen. Mike Braun sends letter to Biden urging him to visit border: ‘This surge makes it a moral imperative’
- [LLODO] GOP senators shut down talk of immigration deal until border crisis is solved