The Newsom family said that Marley, their eight-year-old dog, bit 53-year-old Thong Pham, who police said had a knife while in the house.
“She’s our hero. If it hadn’t been for her, that guy could’ve gone to their rooms or something,” the Newsoms said, according to KDFM.
“Yeah, I mean, the story plays out very differently if Marley’s not there.”
Pham reportedly entered through the back door after the family forgot to lock it. The Newsom’s kids, six-year-old Finley and four-year-old Sadie, were also at the house when the incident occurred.
“Well, it was pitch black, so we couldn’t see anything, only could hear Marley,” said Amber Newsom. “And once he flipped the hall light on, we realized that the guy was holed up in the corner trying to hide.”
According to father Taylor, Pham slashed Marley with the knife and also stabbed Taylor Newsom in the arm.
Pham eventually fled the scene, and police said he was found hiding alongside a creek. He’s charged with animal cruelty and aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.
- [LLODO] Texas House moves forward with no-permit carry bill
- [LLODO] San Antonio police shoot, kill gunman at airport terminal
- [LLODO] Suspect captured in shooting of Texas police officer during traffic stop
- [LLODO] San Antonio airport on lockdown, police confirm shooting
- [LLODO] Texas dad drowns while saving two sons from riptide: ‘My soul has been ripped from my body,’ wife says
- [LLODO] Texas police officer shot multiple times during traffic stop
- [LLODO] Texas Rep. Kevin Brady, top Republican on powerful Ways and Means committee, to retire from Congress
- [LLODO] Texas Gov. Abbott warns border woes ‘will get worse,’ points to ‘bipartisan response’ to Biden admin
- [LLODO] Texas Gov. Abbott sends letter to VP Harris demanding migrant facility shutdown