This van jacker must have known he would make the news.
A 24-year-old is under arrest after he stole a WCBS News weather van from Manhattan and took it on a dangerous joyride to the Bronx Tuesday afternoon, police said.
The van operator called police around 4 p.m. to report the vehicle had been stolen from West 50th Street and 11th Avenue in Hell’s Kitchen, according to officials. The key had been left in the ignition, cops said.
The suspect fled east, hitting a taxi cab on 50th Street between 5th and 6th Avenues, before heading uptown, where he was spotted with the help of NYPD helicopters, police said.
Officers stopped the suspect on East 138th Street in the Bronx and took him into custody, where charges against him are pending, according to the NYPD.
Footage of the arrest shows the news van was damaged on the front end and driver’s side door.
No one was injured during the suspect’s two-borough tour, according to cops.
- [LLODO] Cuomo boasts he ‘invented’ NYS-scented hand sanitizer, faces no questions over scandals
- [LLODO] New York elementary principal charged with sexually abusing students during school hours
- [LLODO] Fired Buffalo police officer who stopped fellow cop’s chokehold on Black suspect wins pension
- [LLODO] New York county top cop Geraldine Hart, first woman to lead the department, to step down
- [LLODO] Woman covers Lyft, Uber rides to help Asian residents in New Yorkers get home safely
- [LLODO] De Blasio denies New Yorkers ‘living in fear’ after Kansas tourist shot by alleged gang member in Times Square
- [LLODO] Cuomo signs bill repealing nursing home COVID-19 liability protections
- [LLODO] New York Gov. Cuomo signs law restricting solitary confinement, prompting criticism from union officials
- [LLODO] Missing film designer found dead under garbage in NYC home