The body of John Sullivan, who had been convicted of failing to register as a sex offender, and was serving a 10-year sentence, was found unresponsive around 12:40 a.m. He was declared dead soon after, the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation told the East Bay Times.
The circumstances of the death were not disclosed.
The suspect was identified as Sammeon Waller, who had been convicted of assaulting his 82-year-old grandfather and fleeing in the victim’s minivan, the newspaper’s report said.
Waller, who was serving a seven-year sentence, was placed in “administrative segregation” after being linked to Sullivan’s death, the report said.
An investigation into Sullivan’s death was continuing, authorities said.
- [LLODO] California parents rally in defense of teacher recorded berating students over push for in-person learning
- [LLODO] California shooting at Fresno mall prompts manhunt for suspects
- [LLODO] California shooting at Fresno mall prompts manhunt for 2 suspects
- [LLODO] California standoff ends after 5 hours with arrest of slain woman’s estranged husband: reports
- [LLODO] California Highway Patrol dog helps uncover 81 pounds of meth, 11 pounds of fentanyl tablets
- [LLODO] Kristin Smart case: No pleas entered for ‘prime suspect’ Paul Flores, father in first court appearance
- [LLODO] California ethnic studies pitch denounces US as a ‘parasitic system’ based on the ‘invasion’ of White settlers
- [LLODO] California gold rush town votes to remove controversial nickname and logo
- [LLODO] California promotes ‘dismantling racism in mathematics’ guidance in draft for statewide framework