The vote of no confidence came amid calls for Collins to resign after a series of tweets from several years ago recently resurfaced, FOX 2 of the San Francisco Bay Area reported.
The tweets included comments that the school board said helped “perpetuate gross and harmful stereotypes” against the Asian community.
Asians used “white supremacist thinking” to “get ahead,” Collins claimed in one message, according to FOX 2.
“Where are the vocal Asians speaking up against Trump?” she asked in another post. “Don’t Asian Americans know they are on his list as well?”
Last weekend, Collins apologized for “the pain my words may have caused,” but has declined to resign, despite calls to do so from officials including Mayor London Breed.
She issued a second apology earlier this week, FOX 2 reported, adding she was “horrified by the hate crimes rising across the Bay Area” against Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders.
But in Thursday’s resolution, the school board claimed it wasn’t satisfied with Collins’ attempts to make amends.
“Although Commissioner Collins has acknowledged that her words may have caused pain, her public statements to-date have fallen short of sincere recognition of the harm she has caused,” the resolution stated, “and Vice President Collins does not seem to take meaningful responsibility for her actions.”
Although the vote removed Collins’ VP title it did not remove her from the school board, FOX 2 reported.
- [LLODO] San Francisco in free speech fight following school board VP’s ‘anti-Asian’ tweets
- [LLODO] Oakland teachers refuse to return to school, despite getting COVID vaccine priority
- [LLODO] Suspects still at large after Asian woman robbed, dragged by car in San Francisco; police investigating
- [LLODO] Asian woman robbed, dragged by vehicle in San Francisco
- [LLODO] Asian woman, 75, fights back against attacker in San Francisco: witnesses
- [LLODO] Asian woman, 75, who fought back against attacker to donate nearly $1M from GoFundMe
- [LLODO] San Francisco school official attacks Trump, faces growing calls to resign over anti-Asian tweets
- [LLODO] San Francisco school board, district facing lawsuit over renaming of 44 schools
- [LLODO] Asian woman, 70, fights back against attacker in San Francisco: witnesses