The 25-year-old politician rose to prominence after defeating former President Donald Trump’s handpicked candidate in the 2020 Republican primary, before winning his seat for the current term.
A handful of photos and a video appeared online from the event, which occurred seven years to the day that he was crippled in a car accident. Cawthorn himself tweeted photos showing him standing up during the ceremony.
In a statement, Cawthorn said, “Marrying Cristina Bayardelle, now Cristina Cawthorn, is the greatest honor, privilege, and adventure of my life. I am so grateful to celebrate this occasion surrounded by so many friends and family.”
Cawthorn introduced his fiancée to the public in a tweet from October that described Bayardelle as an anesthesiologist assistant and a CrossFit athlete.
Bayardelle said that the couple met through a mutual friend and “hit it off,” and after four months “knew he was the one.”
Cawthorn said in the video that he had “never seen a girl do that many pullups at one time.”
Cawthorn spent months learning how to kneel so he could propose – a difficult task after a 2014 car accident left him paralyzed from the waist down, according to The Focus.
The ceremony came a month after the congressman faced renewed allegations of sexual misconduct from his time at college.
Such allegations were made last year, during the campaign, but a handful of women recently spoke out about Cawthorn inviting them on “fun drives” where he would make sexual advances.
Cawthorn continues to insist that he has “never done anything sexually inappropriate in my life.”
Fox News’ Morgan Philips contributed to this report.
- [LLODO] Rep Barr’s heart health bill honoring late wife gets boost from McConnell, Sinema
- [LLODO] Rep. Tom Reed won’t seek re-election after sex harass claims
- [LLODO] Marjorie Taylor Greene to face expulsion resolution from Dem congressman
- [LLODO] Democrats push ‘assault weapon’ ban in new gun control bill
- [LLODO] Capitol Police says it isn’t investigating GOP Rep. Fulcher over metal detector incident, despite reports
- [LLODO] Capitol Police say they aren’t investigating GOP Rep. Fulcher over metal detector incident, despite reports