“The surgery went well, but I will be effectively blind for about a month,” Crenshaw said in a Twitter statement on Saturday.
Crenshaw, a U.S. Navy SEAL veteran, lost his right eye during a deployment in Afghanistan when he was wounded by an improvised explosive device (IED) and wears a patch on that eye.
But his left eye also sustained damage in the 2012 blast, and he learned this week that the problems had gotten worse.
“This is a terrifying prognosis for someone with one eye, and the nature of the injuries that I sustained in Afghanistan,” Crenshaw said. “Anyone who knows the history of my injuries knows that I don’t have a ‘good eye’, but half a good eye.
“The blast from 2012 caused a cataract, excessive tissue damage, and extensive damage to my retina,” he continued. “It was always a possibility that the effects of the damage to my retina would surface, and it appears that is exactly what has happened. The prognosis I received Thursday is obviously very bad.”
Crenshaw said he’s home recovering in Houston and has to lie face-down — unable to see anything — as he recovers.
“I’m sorry to inform everyone that I will pretty much off the grid for the next few weeks.”
“I have gotten through worse before, and I will get through this,” he added.
- [LLODO] Gaetz connection Joel Greenberg has fed info to investigators since 2020, report says
- [LLODO] Rep. Ashley Hinson seeks to revive Trump’s deregulation executive orders
- [LLODO] House Ethics Committee investigating Matt Gaetz, Tom Reed misconduct allegations
- [LLODO] Marjorie Taylor Greene sees $3.2M fundraising windfall despite being sidelined from House committees
- [LLODO] Progressive group that recruited AOC to run for Congress targets first incumbent Democrat of 2022 cycle
- [LLODO] Rep. Matt Gaetz’s communications director steps down amid federal investigation of congressman
- [LLODO] Former Trump aide Max Miller raised 500K in one month in House race vs GOP member who voted to impeach
- [LLODO] Colorado GOP Rep. Boebert, Dem challenger, both raising eye-popping campaign cash
- [LLODO] Pelosi’s attempt to overturn Miller-Meeks’ certified Iowa win: What to know