“My email offer to make a few extra Thanksgiving meals would probably have been greeted by an – ‘oh that’s nice’ fleeting thought last year,” Liz Pearce, a communications professor at the University of Iowa, told Fox News. “This year, I think as we’ve socially distanced, we’ve psychologically distanced and that’s why my email went viral. Instead of a simple gesture of a meal, it was seen as a moment of connection in our current disconnected world.”
One of her students, Leah Blask, posted a screenshot of the email on Twitter.
“My professor is absolutely too pure for this world,” she captioned the post.
The tweet had more than 900,000 likes and 78,000 retweets on Monday evening.
“My kids are very happy to help me do this. Two of them are going to school online and my oldest daughter is working remotely at an internship. I think we all view this as a moment of connection with students who may feel alone, or sad because they aren’t with their family. It’s an acknowledgment that we’re all in this together.”
So far only three people have signed up, but she told Fox News she is extending the offer to all the majors — 600 students — in the department.
“I had no idea how many would sign up. I’m just going to wait and my kids and I will do a big shop on Wednesday.”
Pearce told Fox News she is ready to help feed as many students as she can.
“Since it went viral, the only thing that changed was me – it made me realize just how hungry people are, not for food but for a bit of good news. It showed me how raw and vulnerable we all are.”
- [LLODO] Ohio boy and his dog found abandoned at cemetery days before Christmas, community sends gifts to lift spirits
- [LLODO] Longest-surviving Pearl Harbor veteran to get post office named after him
- [LLODO] Couple uses deposit from canceled wedding to feed hundreds on Thanksgiving
- [LLODO] Alabama mail carrier surprises birthday boy with a gift
- [LLODO] Over 100 senior citizens in Delray Beach received free turkeys
- [LLODO] Minnesota woman’s Instagram post raises $4K tip for restaurant servers
- [LLODO] Michael Jordan gives $2M from ‘Last Dance’ to Feeding America
- [LLODO] Utah woman records struggling delivery driver, takes to social media to help him
- [LLODO] Ohio man tips $3K for beer before the restaurant closes over rising coronavirus cases