Portland Police have said no one was injured, but the building was vandalized and several vehicles were set on fire – destroying one food delivery truck along with multiple “maintenance vans.”
Officials have not said who they believe are behind the attack, and no arrests have been made at this time.
But Portland based journalist, Andy Ngo, claimed that there were graffiti messages left behind, repeating “a BLM-Antifa mantra” and an “anarchist symbol was also sprayed on the building.”
Ngo has made a name for himself as a critical reporter of Antifa, and was attacked by the anarchist group nearly two years ago.
He did not go into detail on what the “mantra” was that combined the two groups, known as the Anti-fascist and Black Lives Matter (BLM). The two groups have frequently been lumped together following the summer demonstrations by BLM protestors, which often turned into violent nighttime riots by Antifa.
Fox News could not immediately reach the Portland Police Bureau to confirm whether either group had left graffiti marks on the Public School’s headquarters.
“While I am relieved that no one was hurt and there was no further damage to the building, this malicious act of arson and property destruction last night was criminal and it has no place in our community,” Portland Public School Superintendent Guadalupe Guerrero said in a Saturday statement.
“This act of violence will not deter us from our commitment to educating our students, providing them meals, or any of the other work we are privileged to carry out every day in support of our students and families.”
The Portland Police Bureau and Portland Fire & Rescue have launched as joint investigation into the Saturday arson attack.
- [LLODO] Portland aims to fight crime with more unarmed park rangers; no new cash for police
- [LLODO] Bill Maher calls Portland a ‘cautionary tale’: ‘In a world without police,’ it’s ‘The Purge’ every night
- [LLODO] Portland police look for exit, say they’re ‘burned out’: report
- [LLODO] Antifa attacks Portland police union amid ongoing unrest
- [LLODO] Portland school postpones vote on changing mascot to ‘evergreens’ over racism concerns
- [LLODO] Portland police union president resigns over ‘serious, isolated mistake’ related to city commissioner
- [LLODO] Portland mayor says residents angry about unrest during protests under ‘guise of some noble cause’
- [LLODO] Portland courthouse turns back into fortress after riots spike again
- [LLODO] Portland police: Detained Pearl District protesters had bear spray, hammers