Stitt, during an appearance on “Fox & Friends,” said that the ‘draconian’ coronavirus restrictions imposed by Democratic states did not work for Oklahoma residents and asserted that his state is months ahead of the competition when it comes to reopening the schools and businesses.
“We believe in freedoms in Oklahoma,” Stitt told Pete Hegseth. “It’s not the government’s job to pick winners and losers, and that’s what I’ve been saying from the very beginning.”
Stitt said that that the difference between his state and blue states is “unbelievable” and touted Oklahoma’s low hospitalization rate despite the lifting of restrictions, which is at its lowest point since last July when the state first reopened.
Stitt added that Oklahoma is sixth in the country for vaccines administered per capita, with over a million vaccines administered out of the state’s population of four million people.
In Oklahoma, teachers are receiving priority for the vaccine just behind first responders and long-term care facilities.
Stitt announced Thursday he will roll back some of the state’s final coronavirus restrictions, lifting limits on public gatherings, concert venues, along with the mandate requiring that masks be worn in state buildings.
“Because of the progress we have made, I will be issuing a new executive order tomorrow. There will be no statewide restrictions on events or Oklahomans,” Stitt said during a Thursday news conference. “I’m also removing the requirements to wear a mask in state buildings.”
“More Oklahomans are getting vaccines each day, and the CDC’s new guidelines mean wearing a mask should be a personal decision based on your circumstances,” he added.
Fox News’ Caitlin McFall contributed to this report.
- [LLODO] Abbott tells ‘The Story’ Biden admin ‘standing by’ while Texans are ‘terrorized’ by drug cartels
- [LLODO] Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis discusses legislation to strengthen police protection and prevent riots
- [LLODO] Tucker blasts Utah’s Republican governor for defense of ‘racist’ scholarship program
- [LLODO] Florida Governor Ron DeSantis discusses legislation to strengthen police protection and prevent riots
- [LLODO] Dana Loesch explodes on Adam Toledo’s absent guardians leading up to fatal shooting: Where are the adults?
- [LLODO] Dog the Bounty Hunter calls for police to ‘take the lead out of the bullet,’ adopt less-lethal alternatives
- [LLODO] San Francisco parent slams California schools’ lag in reopening: ‘Zoom in a room’s a joke’
- [LLODO] Slain New Mexico police officer’s widow files wrongful death lawsuit, alleging DHS ‘botched’ operation
- [LLODO] Seattle business owner slams city officials for not doing anything to stop graffiti vandals