The off-duty officer, whose identity was not released, was leaving a Lowe’s Home Improvement store when he spotted a man, later identified as 25-year-old Dominick Alford, inside his car trying to burglarize or steal it, according to Casa Grande police.
When he confronted Alford and attempted to detain him, a struggle ensued, police said. Alford was able to get into his own vehicle and speed away.
But as Alford took off, police said the car dragged the officer for several hundred feet.
First responders arrived and found the off-duty officer lying on the ground, police said. He was hospitalized and treated for serious injuries to his head and torso.
The department said that the officer was in stable condition on Monday and would remain hospitalized for several days as he recovers.
Police located and arrested Alford at his home in Casa Grande on Monday morning. Charges against Alford were pending.
- [LLODO] Arizona police find toddler, man and 2 dogs dead inside home: report
- [LLODO] Conservatives propose revised sex-ed rules in LGBTQ pushback
- [LLODO] Arizona congressional aide found dead days after going missing with girlfriend on Death Valley camping trip
- [LLODO] Arizona AG says Kamala Harris hasn’t responded to his invitation to tour the border
- [LLODO] More than 130 undocumented migrants surrender to Arizona Border Patrol
- [LLODO] Arizona parents charged with murder after remains of adopted daughter, 13, found in fire
- [LLODO] Former longtime Sheriff Joe Arpaio mourns death of wife, Ava, from cancer
- [LLODO] Arizona police officer, suspect both wounded in parking lot shootout: report
- [LLODO] Arizona teaching material suggests babies need anti-racism guidance