McGuire, a former Citigroup executive, did not vote in either the general election or Democratic primary elections for mayor in 2017, when Mayor Bill de Blasio was reelected.
He missed other mayoral contests as well.
In 2013, McGuire was MIA from the general election for mayor, when de Blasio was first elected. He did cast a ballot in the primary, however.
He missed the Democratic primary for mayor in 2009, when Bill Thompson defeated Tony Avella for the nomination, though he voted in the general election.
And in 2005, McGuire missed the Democratic primary for mayor, when Fernando Ferrer was nominated as the first Latino nominee.
Elsewhere, McGuire did not cast a ballot for the 2001 primary or general election for mayor, the latter following the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.
McGuire also skipped important races for governor and president.
“He didn’t cast a ballot in the 2018 general election for governor, the 2014 gubernatorial primary for governor and the 2010 race for New York’s chief executive.”
As for the presidency, McGuire voted in the recent 2020 primary and general elections.
One political science professor said McGuire’s spotty voting record is a bad start to the campaign.
“It’s a big negative. There’s no good excuse. You’re introducing yourself to the electorate and you didn’t even engage in civic participation to vote for the office your’re running for,” said Baruch College public affairs professor Doug Muzzio.
Muzzio joked that the “mercy rule” should be invoked when The Post read off all the votes McGuire missed. “The question should be, ‘When did he vote,’” he said.
- [LLODO] NYC mayoral hopeful Andrew Yang faces blowback after complaining about city’s small apartments
- [LLODO] Woman leaps to her death from NYC building with child in her arms
- [LLODO] Woman charged in phone attack accused of damaging NYC Airbnb; says she’s ‘like a woman of color’
- [LLODO] NYPD dispatching 200 members to Washington, DC for Inauguration Day: report
- [LLODO] New York City shootings, homicides soared in 2020, crime data shows
- [LLODO] NYC bomb hoax suspect smiles, winks as he’s hauled off in cuffs; tells reporters ‘messiah is coming’
- [LLODO] NYC fisherman reels in a decomposing body
- [LLODO] New York City fisherman reels in a decomposing body
- [LLODO] Massachusetts podcaster surrenders to NYC police in connection with Queens mall bombing ‘hoax’: reports