Sharae Monique Becton, 27, of New Bern, N.C., is charged with felony trafficking cocaine, felony possession with intent to sell/deliver cocaine, and misdemeanor child abuse for allegedly allowing her child to possess 260 grams of cocaine, the Craven County Sheriff’s Office said in a press release.
A resource officer at Trent Park Elementary School in New Bern discovered the illegal drugs in the child’s book bag on March 30, 2021 and alerted authorities.
The relationship between Becton and the child was not immediately clear. Trent Park Elementary School has about 450 students, including kindergarten through fifth grade.
The street value of 260 grams of cocaine is worth anywhere between $30,000 and $31,200, according to rehabcenter.net.
New Bern is located near North Carolina’s coast, about 120 miles southeast of Raleigh.
- [LLODO] Republican Mark Robinson ‘seriously considering’ NC Senate run
- [LLODO] Ex-Walmart employee slams car through store
- [LLODO] Hiker in North Carolina mountains largely unhurt after tumbling 1,000 feet
- [LLODO] North Carolina house-party shooting leaves at least 3 dead, 4 wounded: reports
- [LLODO] North Carolina sheriff releases 911 call in alleged road rage shooting
- [LLODO] North Carolina sheriff releases 911 call in alleged road-rage shooting
- [LLODO] North Carolina man arrested in fatal road-rage shooting of Pennsylvania mom of 6
- [LLODO] Western Carolina University housing coordinator warns RAs not to use ‘Christmas,’ ‘Easter’
- [LLODO] North Carolina police officer resigns over disturbing K-9 video