New York City is doing a full “180” on its plan to shutter two Trump Organization-operated ice skating rinks.
City Hall on Sunday reversed Mayor Bill de Blasio’s move to shutter Lasker and Wollman rinks, both located in Central Park, six weeks ahead of their typical April closing dates, in an apparent effort to freeze out his political rival.
“New York City kids deserve all the time on the ice they can get this year. The Wollman and Lasker rinks will stay open under current management for the few weeks left in this season,” City Hall press secretary Bill Neidhardt told the New York Post.
“But make no mistake, we will not be doing business with the Trump Organization going forward. Inciting an insurrection will never be forgotten or forgiven.”
Hizzoner announced last month he was nixing the city’s contracts with the Trump Organization, alleging then-President Trump had incited a riot at the Capitol. The rinks were both set to be shuttered at close on Sunday.
The stunning policy reversal came after devastated skaters fumed over the weekend that they shouldn’t be kept off the ice due to the mayor’s beef with the Trump administration.
“The real people they’re hurting are the 2,500 children that have been benefiting from the skating program this season and 250 innocent employees who have been keeping this going for us,” said Lee Klausner, 49, who was watching her two daughters skate.
On Sunday, Eric Trump cheered city hall’s decision to keep the rinks open.
“@NYCMayor Mr. Mayor – Thank You for keeping Wollman and Lasker Rinks open — you’ve just made countless NYC families (along w our 250 employees) incredibly happy. This is a bright moment for New York and please know we ap preciate it. I look forward to saying ‘thanks’ in person,” he wrote on Twitter.
It wasn’t immediately clear if the rinks would remain open until April, as they have in past years.
- [LLODO] Several arrested in NYC during Daniel Prude protest
- [LLODO] Buffalo schools fail kids when teaching that all White people play part in systemic racism: Rufo
- [LLODO] Cuomo, facing sexual harassment allegations, once called for Brett Kavanaugh to take lie detector test
- [LLODO] Daniel Prude grand jury verdict leads to Rochester protests after decision not to indict officers
- [LLODO] New York grand jury votes not to indict police officers for Daniel Prude death
- [LLODO] Buffalo’s school district tells students that ‘all white people play a part in perpetuating systemic racism’
- [LLODO] NY protester, 75, shoved by Buffalo police files lawsuit after cops’ charges dropped
- [LLODO] Lawyers accused of torching NYPD car with Molotov cocktail offered plea deal
- [LLODO] Woman whose father who died in nursing home says without answers ‘there’s really no closure’