Sports fans in New Jersey will get the opportunity to attend games and other events inside arenas and other indoor venues starting next month, Gov. Phil Murphy said Monday.
Murphy made an appeared on WFAN’s “Moose and Maggie” and said that any indoor venue that can hold 5,000 people or more for a sporting or entertainment event can have a 10% attendance for indoor engagements and 15% for outdoor ones.
The new capacity rule goes into effect on March 1, Murphy said.
Murphy also announced that family and siblings for collegiate athletes can now attend their children’s games. The rule was initially in place for high school sporting events in the state. That rule became effective immediately.
The New Jersey governor stressed to future eventgoers that face covering and social distancing rules would still need to be adhered to.
The only pro team of the major sports currently playing indoors in New Jersey are the Devils.
Rutgers and Seton Hall men’s and women’s basketball are the major collegiate programs still playing indoors next month. The Somerset Patriots, who recently aligned with the New York Yankees, the Jersey Shore BlueClaws, a Philadelphia Phillies affiliate, and Trenton Thunder are some of the baseball teams that are expected to be back in the spring in New Jersey.
The New York Red Bulls are set for a return to the pitch in spring as well.
- [LLODO] New Jersey girl, 3, dies after falling into campground’s septic tank, police say
- [LLODO] NJ prosecutor won’t file charges against dog owner whose pit bulls killed 3-year-old boy: Report
- [LLODO] Sean Lannon, held in NJ, formally charged in New Mexico deaths of ex-wife, 2 friends
- [LLODO] Atlantic City to spend $36G, repaint Black Lives Matter street mural that left drivers confused
- [LLODO] NJ boy, 3, mauled to death by pit bulls is identified; neighbors had reportedly expressed concerns over dogs
- [LLODO] New Jersey district pays $325G in Trump yearbook censorship
- [LLODO] New Jersey boy, 3, killed by pit bulls; mother injured
- [LLODO] New Jersey boy, 3, killed, mother injured by pit bulls
- [LLODO] New Jersey GOP candidate looking to unseat Gov. Murphy targets his nursing home order in new ad