U.S. Border Patrol agents in California arrested an alleged MS-13 gang member early Wednesday morning after he had illegally crossed the border into the United States, Customs and Border Protection (CBP) announced.
An agent from the San Diego sector was searching for “a group of illegal entrants” in a mountainous area around 12:45 a.m. Wednesday when he spotted a half-dozen men “near the border wall,” according to CBP.
Upon questioning, all of the men acknowledged that they had illegally entered the U.S. and were arrested, authorities said.
While being processed at a nearby Border Patrol station, agents discovered one of the men was “a documented MS-13 gang member,” CBP said.
The man, a 28-year-old El Salvadorian national, and the five others — three of whom were also from El Salvador, one from Mexico and one from Honduras — will be sent back to their native countries, the agency said.
The latest danger haunting our border comes as the White House on Wednesday defended Vice President Kamala Harris‘ travel, as she faces scrutiny for not having visited the overwhelmed southern border, amid her latest assignment from President Biden to handle the “root causes” of the surge in migration in recent months.
White House press secretary Jen Psaki on Wednesday during the press briefing was asked about the vice president’s recent travel to Chicago, as opposed to the southern border. While in the Windy City, Harris visited a local bakery.
“I would say the vice president was visiting Chicago to talk about COVID and the importance of communities getting the vaccine when it is available and accessible to them,” Psaki explained. “While she was there, like many Americans, she got a snack. I think she’s allowed to do that.”
Fox News’ Brooke Singman contributed to this report.
- [LLODO] Missing California mother’s family, friends and coworkers hold massive search
- [LLODO] Missing California mother Maya Millete sought advice about divorce attorneys on day she went missing
- [LLODO] Former California Democratic mayor arrested for sexual assault crimes against minor
- [LLODO] California’s iconic Highway 1 to reopen ahead of schedule after mudslide damage
- [LLODO] Quick-thinking California cop turns up heat on knife-wielding suspect in Oakland airport
- [LLODO] Missing California mother’s brother-in-law: I’ve ‘lost all faith’ in Chula Vista PD, but ‘we will not give up’
- [LLODO] California man accused of propping up dead wife for kids on Christmas is convicted of murder: DA
- [LLODO] Man accused of strangling ‘I-5 Strangler’ won’t face death penalty
- [LLODO] Grenell group seeks to reshape California politics beyond recall: Californians want ‘permanent change’