No fatalities were reported but two people were critically injured.
Part of Interstate-90 was shut down as it took more than two hours for authorities to tow all the wrecked cars away from the scene.
One traveler said that as she braked to avoid cars stopping ahead of her, a semi-truck struck her vehicle, she told the Billings Gazette .
“It was like bumper cars,” she said.
It was around 30 degrees in Billings when the crash took place.
One of the deadliest multi-vehicle wrecks in recent memory took place earlier this month when six people were killed and dozens were injured in a 133 car pile-up in Fort Worth, Texas.
- [LLODO] Montana Gov. Greg Gianforte tests positive for coronavirus, just got first vaccine shot
- [LLODO] Montana Gov. Greg Gianforte tests positive for coronavirus after receiving vaccine
- [LLODO] Montana bans sanctuary cities for illegal immigrants
- [LLODO] Montana’s Gianforte warned by wildlife officials after violation in killing Yellowstone wolf
- [LLODO] Montana massive 30 car pile-up blamed on icy bridge