The fatal police shooting of Daunte Wright in the Minneapolis suburb of Brooklyn Center is a “tragedy of epic proportion,” former Washington D..C. homicide detective Ted Williams told “America Reports” Monday.
“This is the last thing that Minnesota needs, with the Derek Chauvin trial going on in Minneapolis,” said Williams, referring to the former Minneapolis officer charged in connection with the in-custody death of George Floyd last year.
Brooklyn Center Police Chief Tim Gannon told reporters Monday that Wright, 20, died after a female officer mistook her gun for a Taser. The officer can be heard on body camera footage yelling “Taser!” while engaged in a struggle with Wright. Seconds later, the officer says, “Oh, s—, I just shot him.”
“What stood out to me … this was a senior police officer,” Williams said. “This wasn’t a rookie. This is someone who had training. You expect someone with training, even in the cause of a situation like this, to take the appropriate action. She pulled out her Taser, she thought. What she actually pulled out was her gun.”
Williams noted that officers are typically trained annually on using both firearms and stun guns.
“They should definitely, even in high stress situations, know the difference,” he said.
“This is not the first incident of this nature. There are other incidences … where an officer believes they were pulling their Taser and in fact they wound up shooting and killing somebody with their gun.”
- [LLODO] Abbott tells ‘The Story’ Biden admin ‘standing by’ while Texans are ‘terrorized’ by drug cartels
- [LLODO] Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis discusses legislation to strengthen police protection and prevent riots
- [LLODO] Tucker blasts Utah’s Republican governor for defense of ‘racist’ scholarship program
- [LLODO] Florida Governor Ron DeSantis discusses legislation to strengthen police protection and prevent riots
- [LLODO] Dana Loesch explodes on Adam Toledo’s absent guardians leading up to fatal shooting: Where are the adults?
- [LLODO] Dog the Bounty Hunter calls for police to ‘take the lead out of the bullet,’ adopt less-lethal alternatives
- [LLODO] San Francisco parent slams California schools’ lag in reopening: ‘Zoom in a room’s a joke’
- [LLODO] Slain New Mexico police officer’s widow files wrongful death lawsuit, alleging DHS ‘botched’ operation
- [LLODO] Seattle business owner slams city officials for not doing anything to stop graffiti vandals