The shooting happened at point-blank range outside the Park Place condominiums in Sterling Heights, a suburb of Detroit. The victim is expected to recover, while the gunman remains on the loose.
“This guy had every intent of trying to murder her that day,” Sterling Heights police Lt. Mario Bastianelli told FOX2 Detroit. “He’s sitting, waiting and watching.”
Police released surveillance footage of the incident on Monday and asked the public to help identify the suspect.
The video shows the woman leave her condo and get in her SUV. As she backed out of her parking spot, a man who had been sitting in a pickup truck across the street drives up and blocks her vehicle. The suspect gets out of the truck and begins firing at the driver-side window from just feet away.
The woman is seen speeding away as another woman in her condo screams from the porch. The gunman continues to fire at the moving vehicle before getting in the truck and giving chase.
Moments later, the woman returns and parks her SUV on the front lawn before running back into the condo to call for help, police said. The suspect pulls up in the pickup truck and partially exits the vehicle before speeding away.
“That’s just the grace of God that she wasn’t killed,” Bastianelli said. “That’s just very close range and the fact that he missed, it’s a miracle.”
Police are working to determine a motive and said the suspect and victim knew each other, WDIV-TV reported.
Investigators have asked anyone with information on the vehicle or suspect to call the police department at 586-446-2866.
- [LLODO] Ex.-Michigan Gov. Snyder charged in Flint water crisis
- [LLODO] Petition calls for U of Michigan regent to resign for not blaming Trump over Capitol riot
- [LLODO] Michigan plans to charge ex-Gov. Snyder in Flint water investigation
- [LLODO] Michigan bans open carry of guns inside state Capitol
- [LLODO] Michigan State Capitol building briefly evacuated to investigate bomb threat
- [LLODO] Plane crashes into Michigan home, 3 killed aboard as house set ablaze with family inside
- [LLODO] Michigan teen fatally shot himself during game of Russian roulette, authorities say
- [LLODO] Michigan attack on elderly couple leads to discovery of 2nd body: report
- [LLODO] University of Michigan’s IT department suggests terms like ‘picnic’ and ‘brown bag’ are offensive