The Oakland County attorneys — identified as Marc Fishman, 70; Ryan Fishman, 32; and Alexandra Ichim, 33 — were charged with multiple felony counts that included racketeering, forgery and obstruction of justice, according to FOX 2 in Detroit.
“These people, this firm, took advantage of the most vulnerable people in the state who weren’t familiar with the legal process or may have believed they needed to pay on debts they never owed,” Genesee County Prosecutor David Leyton said Tuesday while announcing the charges. “These lawyers put a dagger in the heart of due process.”
Marc Fishman, president and CEO of the Fishman Group in Bloomfield Township, was charged with maintaining a criminal enterprise and obstruction of justice, while Ryan Fishman and Ichim, who both work there, were charged with conducting a criminal enterprise (racketeering) 30 counts of forgery and a count of obstruction of justice, according to The Detroit News.
The suspects allegedly tried to serve debt collection notices and when those failed, they filed forged paperwork through the court in at least 30 cases starting in August 2019, claiming the Fishman Group had legally served alleged debtors, Leyton said.
They would then allegedly use the court to try to get payments from people who had not been legally served and whom the firm had not been able to contact, according to FOX 2.
In some cases, they would copy and paste information from legitimate documents, Genesee County Sheriff Christopher Swanson said. They also allegedly garnished wages from those whom they were trying to collect.
Racketeering charges carry a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison.
The alleged scheme victimized people in Genesee County but officials said there are “hundreds and hundreds” more victims in the state, The Detroit News reported.
Officials noted the law group has offices in Florida and Colorado and the scheme could be “national.”
“It’s greed. It’s simple greed,” Swanson said, according to FOX 2. “If it wasn’t for the courage of these victims and witnesses to come forward, we might not be here as soon as we are.”
- [LLODO] NYPD officers hit with Molotov cocktail and liquid chemical in face, police say
- [LLODO] Grand jury in Daniel Prude death voted 15-5 to clear 3 cops
- [LLODO] NYC murder suspect mistakenly released more than a month ago finally caught again
- [LLODO] ‘It hurts us all’: Vigil held for employees slain during FedEx shooting
- [LLODO] California mom who confessed to killing her kids said she ‘social justice warrior’ against human trafficking
- [LLODO] Father of teen busted with AK-47 in Times Square was killed in police shootout
- [LLODO] California mother accused of killing children admits to drowning them in shocking jailhouse confession
- [LLODO] Kyle Rittenhouse donations came from police, public officials: report
- [LLODO] Mother of Daunte Wright’s son, 2, ‘really hurt’ because he doesn’t have a father after fatal police shooting