Effective through Monday, the city is under an extended state of emergency with traffic other restrictions. The city warned that any violation of the restrictions, which include suspending sidewalk cafe operations and closing down Ocean Drive, “shall subject the individual, operator, business entity, or organization to arrest and criminal prosecution.”
“Our officers are far outnumbered and really we don’t have the resources to contain the amount of crowds and the kind of behavior we’re seeing,” Miami Beach Commissioner Steven Meiner said, according to CBS Miami.
“We had over 100 illegal guns confiscated, drugs, it just really became a necessity at that point to do the curfew,” Meiner said.
Most of those arrested have not been college students on spring break, but adults from Florida and out of state, authorities have said.
Two North Carolina men on spring break in Florida have been charged with drugging and raping a woman who later died, possibly of a drug overdose in Miami Beach.
The city announced Saturday that Interim City Manager Raul J. Aguila had declared a state of emergency in response to the crowds. The declaration was extended on Tuesday. A curfew is in place for 8 p.m. through 6 a.m. for certain areas.
According to the Miami Herald, crowds were seen wandering around on Ocean Drive despite the curfew.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- [LLODO] Miami police arrest man in kidnapping, sex assault and shooting of 12-year-old boy
- [LLODO] Miami violence continues after 12-year-old boy abducted, sexually assaulted and shot
- [LLODO] What curfew? Miami spring breakers party on despite restrictions
- [LLODO] Vigil planned for spring breaker who died after being raped in Miami Beach
- [LLODO] Miami Beach business owners sick of spring break crowds, say area like a ‘crime zone’
- [LLODO] Black leaders say Miami Beach overreacting with curfew
- [LLODO] Miami Beach spring break horror: Woman found dead in hotel room remembered as ‘funny and beautiful’
- [LLODO] Florida shark attack turns Minnesota family’s tropical trip into a nightmare
- [LLODO] Spring Break horror: Woman found dead in Miami Beach hotel room remembered as ‘funny and beautiful’