Philadelphia Police said the man – who was wearing a black mask at the time – was spotted shortly after 9 a.m. tossing the device at the exterior of the child care facility on Germantown Avenue, shattering the front window. He then got into the passenger side of a white Toyota that fled the scene, police said.
Local affiliate FOX29 Philadelphia identified the building as housing Children’s Positive Place Too.
The fire did not reach the inside of the building and no children were inside the day care at the time, police said. The fire marshal has declared the incident an arson.
The man, who was not immediately identified, was arrested just over a mile away from the arson scene. Charges against him were pending as of 12:30 p.m. EST Tuesday.
- [LLODO] Philadelphia bomb squad investigates massive house explosion
- [LLODO] Philadelphia shooting results in death of man working on video about city’s gun violence
- [LLODO] Lyft driver targeted in Philadelphia carjacking attempt shoots 14-year-old suspect, report says
- [LLODO] Man killed in Philadelphia mall shooting was stepson of local detective: DA
- [LLODO] Philadelphia mall’s food court turns into deadly shooting scene
- [LLODO] Philadelphia shooting near sports bar leaves at least 7 wounded, some critically: reports
- [LLODO] Philadelphia shooting: 11-year-old boy killed, teen wounded
- [LLODO] Philly deadly shooting at ‘pop-up party,’ police add reinforcements and hunt for suspects
- [LLODO] Philadelphia man shot and killed on prison grounds shortly after release, police say