Maryland police officers responding to a report of a parking hazard at a suburban mall came under gunfire Wednesday afternoon, authorities said.
Gaithersburg Police officers were sent to 392 N Summit Ave., the address of an apartment building near the Lakeforest Mall, around 3 p.m., according to the Montgomery County Department of Police.
Within moments, the officers reported at least one shot in their direction “from higher elevation.”
Additional officers from both departments responded and were actively looking for one or more suspects.
County police said no one had been injured – but they were also advising the public to avoid the area as the shooter remained at large. Residents in the area were encouraged to shelter in place, but the request has since been lifted.
Fox 5 DC reported that “a significant police presence” was visible at and around the mall. School athletics events in the community were canceled.
This is a developing story. Check back with Fox News for updates.
- [LLODO] Maryland trooper shoots, kills teen who had airsoft gun and knife, investigators say
- [LLODO] Maryland state trooper shoots armed man near police barracks
- [LLODO] Maryland to end police Bill of Rights after Democrats override GOP governor’s vetoes
- [LLODO] Maryland Gov. Hogan vetoes bill that would do away with life-without-parole sentences for juveniles
- [LLODO] Maryland Gov. Hogan calls Baltimore mayor’s plan to reduce police budget ‘reckless’
- [LLODO] Pentagon police officer arrested on murder charges after off-duty fatal shooting
- [LLODO] Maryland police identify 2 killed in shooting involving off-duty Pentagon officer
- [LLODO] Maryland cops safely talk down chainsaw-wielding man demanding to be shot
- [LLODO] Maryland Navy sailor shot seen running inside store for help in chilling surveillance