Anne Catherine Akers, 28, is charged with one count of attempted second-degree murder, one count of first-degree assault, and one count of first-degree child abuse, according to a press release from the Montgomery County Department of Police.
Officers responded to Aker’s home in the Wheaton-Glenmont area of Montgomery County around 10:50 a.m. Saturday after receiving a call from a relative who said he had observed blood on the floor, police said.
Fourth District officers entered the residence and observed blood and a pair of scissors on the floor. The officers found Akers on a bedroom floor with a laceration on her neck. Police said the officers removed a blanket Akers was holding and saw Aker’s three-year-old daughter with a “life-threatening laceration” on the child’s neck.
The officers began life-saving measures on the child. Fire and Rescue personnel arrived on the scene and took Akers to a hospital with “serious injuries.” State police transported her daughter by helicopter to an area hospital with “life-threatening injuries,” police said.
Doctors who treated the child at the hospital told investigators that the officers’ “life-saving actions” most likely saved the girl’s life.
Akers is being held without bond at the Central Processing Unit. She appeared before a judge Monday where a judge ordered her to meet with a psychiatrist for a mental health evaluation, WRV-TV reported.
Akers’ next court appearance is scheduled for next Monday.
- [LLODO] Maryland police report being shot at after responding to call, manhunt underway
- [LLODO] Maryland trooper shoots, kills teen who had airsoft gun and knife, investigators say
- [LLODO] Maryland state trooper shoots armed man near police barracks
- [LLODO] Maryland to end police Bill of Rights after Democrats override GOP governor’s vetoes
- [LLODO] Maryland Gov. Hogan vetoes bill that would do away with life-without-parole sentences for juveniles
- [LLODO] Maryland Gov. Hogan calls Baltimore mayor’s plan to reduce police budget ‘reckless’
- [LLODO] Pentagon police officer arrested on murder charges after off-duty fatal shooting
- [LLODO] Maryland police identify 2 killed in shooting involving off-duty Pentagon officer
- [LLODO] Maryland cops safely talk down chainsaw-wielding man demanding to be shot