Instead of those terms, the guide recommends “grown-ups,” “folks,” “family,” or guardians. It also suggests using “caregiver” instead of “nanny/babysitter.”
The guide came to light this week as part of City Journal’s story on how “woke” ideology is influencing elite education. The Manhattan-based school offers instruction for junior kindergarten through 12th grade, according to its website.
Grace’s guide asserts that “families are formed and structured in many ways. At Grace Church School, we use inclusive language that reflects this diversity. It’s important to refrain from making assumptions about who kids live with, who cares for them, whether they sleep in the same place every night, whether they see their parents, etc.”
Grace’s guide touches on a variety of other characteristics. For example, it links to the “Genderbread person,” which purports to outline where various aspects of gender and sexuality originate.
The school defended the guide in a statement.
“We understand the power of language both to include and to cause alienation,” wrote Head of School George P. Davison. “We also know that it is our job to give community members resources to allow them to make informed and generous choices.”
“If the boorish ‘cancel culture’ press wants to condemn us a newly dubbed ‘Woke Noho’ school of politeness, dignity and respect, then I embrace it, and I hope you will too,” Davison wrote.
- [LLODO] As America’s youth faces mental health ‘crisis,’ Biden admin sets focus on pandemic’s impact on children
- [LLODO] VA father of 3 gives scathing speech with Fairfax County schools still not fully open
- [LLODO] Group inspired by Trump’s 1776 Commission seeks to combat ‘anti-American indoctrination’ in education
- [LLODO] Teachers unions continue negotiations even after 80% of teachers get vaccinated
- [LLODO] California teens can go to an amusement park but can’t go to math class
- [LLODO] Is Education Secretary Cardona fighting hard enough to reopen schools?
- [LLODO] Politics, demographics — not COVID-19 hospitalizations — ‘significantly’ linked to in-person learning: report
- [LLODO] Grassroots organization launches to help parents fight ‘woke indoctrination’ in schools
- [LLODO] Former LA County DA Jackie Lacey deserves share of blame for USC sex-abuse scandal, victim claims