Officers with DeKalb County responded around 6 p.m. to a call of a man “aggressively wielding a knife” outside a vacant home, the DeKalb County Police Department said in a statement Tuesday. The man was still holding the knife when officers arrived and found him on the 2500 block of Terrace Trail.
“Once contact was made, he lunged at officers with the knife causing one of them to discharge their firearm,” the department said. “It was unknown if the male was struck at this time as he fled into a vacant residence.”
Officers attempted to make contact with the man again when he lunged at them a second time, “causing an officer to discharge his firearm,” police said.
The man retreated back into the empty home, where he was found dead, according to the police statement.
No officers were injured in the incident.
DeKalb County Police said that the Georgia Bureau of Investigation (GBI) was handling the investigation.
Earlier Monday, the GBI investigated a police-involved shooting that left three officers from separate departments wounded following a high-speed chase on Georgia’s Interstate 20. One suspect was killed when officers returned fire and a second suspect was taken into custody.
- [LLODO] MLB should return All-Star Game to Atlanta, conservative group says: ‘Baseball went broke for wokeism’
- [LLODO] Vernon Jones, Georgia Dem-turned-Republican, to challenge Kemp for governor’s seat
- [LLODO] Georgia police release video of suspect opening fire on officers during chase
- [LLODO] Warnock, among GOP’s biggest 2022 Senate targets, hauls in big bucks
- [LLODO] Georgia election official warns Biden to stop ‘lies’ about voting law: ‘Someone is going to get hurt’
- [LLODO] Georgia officers shot during police chase; 1 suspect dead, another in custody, officials say
- [LLODO] MLB commissioner decided to move All-Star Game after pressure from Stacey Abrams on voting issues: sources
- [LLODO] Georgia Democratic Reps. McBath, Bourdeaux silent after MLB pulls game from their area
- [LLODO] Georgia sheriff’s deputy fatally stabbed by handcuffed inmate; another wounded, authorities say