A mass shooting at a FedEx facility in Indianapolis late Thursday night has left at least eight people dead and several others injured, police say.
The shooter who opened fire at the facility near the city’s airport also died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound, according to investigators. That person as of midday Friday has yet to be publicly identified, but the FBI says it is assisting in the search of his home.
Police say five people have been hospitalized following the gunfire, but are in stable condition.
Four people were killed outside the facility, and four people were killed inside it, according to Craig McCartt, the deputy chief of the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department, who said the gunman used “some sort of a rifle.”
- Police have not revealed the name of the shooter, but say he is a young man in his 20s, the Associated Press reports.
- Motive for the attack remains unknown
McCartt, in a press conference Friday, said the shooter came to the FedEx facility and “got out of his car and pretty quickly started some random shooting outside the facility”.
“There was no confrontation with anyone that was there, there was no disturbance, there was no argument,” McCartt said. “He just appeared to randomly start shooting and that began in the parking lot and then he did go into the facility for a brief period of time before he took his own life.”
FedEx employees are among the dead, the company has confirmed.
President Biden has called the shooting “the latest in a string of tragedies” and has ordered flags to be “lowered at half-staff at the White House, public buildings and grounds, and military posts and embassies”.
Follow below for more updates on the shooting in Indianapolis. Mobile users click here.
- [LLODO] Shots fired in Indiana Walmart during arrest of suspected shoplifter: report
- [LLODO] Indiana Fedex shooting massacre: Names of victims revealed
- [LLODO] LIVE UPDATES: Indianapolis FedEx facility shooting leaves 8 dead, gunman ID’d
- [LLODO] Who is Indianapolis FedEx shooter Brandon Hole?
- [LLODO] Indianapolis police say FedEx facility shooting leaves 8 dead, ‘multiple’ injured
- [LLODO] LIVE UPDATES: Indianapolis FedEx facility shooting leaves 8 dead, attacker’s identity unknown
- [LLODO] Indianapolis police say at least 8 dead, ‘multiple’ injured in shooting at FedEx facility
- [LLODO] Indianapolis shooting at FedEx facility leaves ‘multiple victims’; suspect dead: police
- [LLODO] ‘Multiple victims’ in shooting at FedEx facility in Indianapolis; suspect dead: reports