Thomas Driscoll, 57, was walking across a street bridge around 4 a.m. with a female when Brandon Marcus Leath, 33, started shouting at them and following them.
Leath waited for them at the bottom of an escalator then allegedly punched Driscoll, causing him to fall to the ground unconscious.
Driscoll was pronounced dead at a Las Vegas hospital shortly after the attack with head and neck injuries.
He worked for the Connecticut State Police for 22 years before retiring in 2009, spending most of his career on patrol in Hartford and North Canaan.
“It saddens us to hear that he died after being assaulted,” a spokesperson for the Connecticut State Police told Fox News. “Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.
Leath fled the scene but was apprehended by officers and is now facing a murder charge.
Two Las Vegas men who knew Leath described him as a “ticking time bomb” to FOX5, saying that they tried to have him arrested multiple times.
“He knocked me out so now I have to see a doctor about my possible concussion,” one of the men told the local news outlet.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- [LLODO] 11 suspects arrested in connection to Maryland child porn crimes
- [LLODO] Rhode Island man accused of killing ex-Olympic chiropractor blames his therapist in lawsuit
- [LLODO] AWOL Army soldier tried to bring gun on flight, claimed to be law enforcement officer, prosecutors say
- [LLODO] Slain South Carolina doctor wrote of faith, life’s fragility
- [LLODO] Ex-Giants wide receiver Travis Rudolph remains in custody on murder charge as new details emerge: report
- [LLODO] Kids committing more carjackings and violent crimes amid remote schooling, court slowdowns: experts
- [LLODO] Texas mom confesses to killing daughters, 1 and 6, by smothering them, police say
- [LLODO] Lance Armstrong’s son, 21, accused of sexually assaulting 16-year-old girl in 2018
- [LLODO] Armed Connecticut man on plot to kill girlfriend is nabbed by Florida cops at last minute, video shows