The Kenosha police officer who shot an armed Black man in the back seven times during a domestic dispute last summer and was cleared of any wrongdoing has returned from administrative leave, police said Tuesday.
Kenosha Officer Rusten Sheskey was not charged in the August 2020 incident that left Jacob Blake Jr. paralyzed from the waist down. Sheskey shot Blake as he was about to get into an SUV.
Kenosha Police Chief Daniel Miskinis said the shooting was investigated by an outside agency and has been reviewed by an independent expert as well as the Kenosha County District Attorney.
Kenosha Police Chief Daniel Miskinis said Sheskey returned to duty on March 31. The release said Sheskey was found to have been acting within policy and will not be disciplined.
“Although this incident has been reviewed at multiple levels, I know that some will not be pleased with the outcome; however, given the facts, the only lawful and appropriate decision was made,” Miskinis said in the statement.
Sheskey and two other Kenosha officers were trying to arrest Blake on an outstanding warrant when a pocketknife fell from his pants during a scuffle. Blake said he picked it up before heading to a vehicle to drive away with two of his children in the back seat. He said he was prepared to surrender once he put the knife in the vehicle.
Blake last month filed a civil lawsuit accusing the officer of excessive force.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- [LLODO] Steven Avery attorney points to new witness in ‘Making a Murderer’ case who connects other suspect
- [LLODO] Wisconsin wildfires creates state of emergency
- [LLODO] Milwaukee mayor pitches city for MLB All-Star Game following withdrawal over Georgia voting laws
- [LLODO] Wisconsin shooting suspect dies by suicide after killing 2 coworkers, crashing car in police chase: officials
- [LLODO] Kyle Rittenhouse trial delayed to November, judge says
- [LLODO] Wisconsin GOP Sen. Ron Johnson undecided on 2022 reelect bid despite pledge not to seek third term
- [LLODO] Ex-Wisconsin receiver Cephus sues school over 2018 expulsion
- [LLODO] Wisconsin plane crash victims ID’d as National Guard airman, Air Force reservist