Republican Gene Suellentrop, 68, faces several charges, including a felony fleeing to avoid arrest and a misdemeanor driving under the influence stemming from a March 16 arrest in Topeka.
The incident reportedly started with Suellentrop driving the wrong way on the interstate. He was also purportedly traveling at 90 mph in a 66 mph zone.
At the time of the arrest, Suellentrop’s blood-alcohol level was recorded at .17 — more than double the legal limit of .08, according to an affidavit submitted by Kansas Highway Patrol Trooper Austin Shepley.
Suellentrop also allegedly called Shepley “donut boy” at some point during the arrest, the Lawrence Journal-World reported.
“While the phlebotomist was administering the blood kit, Gene Suellentop’s demeanor becoming slightly aggressive in his tone, he made reference to physically going up against me,” Shepley said. “He looked me up and down, stating he played state sports competitively in high school. He stated he could ‘take me.'”
Suellentrop’s office did not return Fox News’ request for comment.
Suellentrop was booked into Shawnee County Jail last month, The Hill reported.
However, the Shawnee County district attorney only announced last week that he had refiled charges against Suellentrop.
Senate President Ty Masterson said Kansas Senate Vice President Rick Wilborn issued a joint statement, calling the incident “very serious.”
“While we continue to respect due process, there are many aspects of the alleged behavior that are deeply disappointing, and severe consequences will be unavoidable,” the statement said. “With just a few days in the session remaining, we will finish up our work with Senator Larry Alley fulfilling the duties of the majority leader.”
“Any decisions regarding the future will be made in due course.”
Suellentrop served seven years in the Kansas State House before winning an election to the state Senate in 2016.
- [LLODO] Kansas woman arrested over April Fools’ call telling daughter she was shot: report
- [LLODO] Kansas GOP ends state’s mask mandate hours after Dem governor extended it
- [LLODO] Kansas Senate passes bill banning transgender girls on female sports teams
- [LLODO] Kansas hospital trashes hundreds of coronavirus vaccine doses due to mistake
- [LLODO] 3 Kansas police officers injured by modified shotgun inside vacant home: cops
- [LLODO] Kansas officers hurt in ‘possible explosion’ in downtown Wichita
- [LLODO] Brown v. Board of Education ruling: What to know