The boy, who has been charged with second-degree murder in the fatal shooting of eighth-grade student Lucia Bremer in Henrico County on Friday, appeared with a guardian for the arraignment, WRIC-TV reported.
Henrico County Commonwealth’s Attorney Shannon Taylor confirmed to the outlet that the boy is 14 years old. The suspect’s name was being withheld due to his age.
The boy was taken into custody Saturday, police said. In addition to being charged with second-degree murder, he was also charged with possession of a firearm in the commission of a felony and possession of a firearm by a juvenile.
Bremer was shot multiple times on Friday, forcing a nearby high school in Henrico County to be placed on a temporary lockdown.
A witness told local news outlet WWBT-TV that he saw a man walking behind two girls before hearing gunshots. He said that he had assumed they were walking together.
It was not immediately clear how the suspect got a gun or what his relationship was to the victim.
Henrico Police told Fox News on Monday that the investigation is still in the early stages.
Bremer’s family confirmed her death in a statement posted to Facebook on Saturday, writing they were “saddened to report that our beloved daughter and joyful farmer, Lucia Whalen Bremer, was killed in a senseless act of gun violence on March 26,” the Richmond Times-Dispatch reported.
Bremer attended Quioccasin Middle School, where she played soccer. A memorial of flowers that spelled “Lucia” was set up at a nearby sports field.
Principal Melanie Phipps said in a written statement that Bremer “radiated happiness” and “was brave, hardworking and kind to everyone.”
“Her smile would light up the entire room,” Phipps said. “In fact, her mother told me that Lucia’s name means ‘light,’ which is just the perfect way to describe her.”
Fox News’ Brie Stimson contributed to this report.
- [LLODO] Virginia governor candidate boosts down-ballot Republicans with PAC money, says state ‘ready for a new day’
- [LLODO] Justin Fairfax accuses former Ex-Virginia governor McAuliffe of treating him like George Floyd
- [LLODO] New York man drinks too much tequila, mistakes counterterrorism center for hotel
- [LLODO] Deer bolts through Virginia school bus windshield, crashes into sleeping student in surveillance video
- [LLODO] Charlottesville can remove Confederate statues, Virginia’s highest court rules
- [LLODO] Virginia Beach police make 3 more arrests, recover 14 firearms after Oceanfront shootings: report
- [LLODO] Virginia advisory board calls for school district to fire teachers if they criticize equity training
- [LLODO] Virginia Beach shooting suspects appear in court as police probe why body camera didn’t record fatal encounter
- [LLODO] Virginia girl’s shocking shooting death leads to arrest of teen suspect