Juan Jose Bernabe Ramirez, 62, was turned over to Mexican immigration officials Wednesday on the U.S.-Mexico border in El Paso, Texas. Due to his convictions, he is considered a threat to public safety, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) officials said.
Bernabe was serving a life sentence in connection with the kidnapping, torture and death of DEA Special Agent Enrique “Kiki” Camarena Salazar. The Mexican-born undercover agent was investigating drug cartels in Guadalajara, Mexico, when he was kidnapped on Feb. 7 1985.
“The gruesome nature of this case is extremely unsettling. Our dedicated officers diligently worked on making all the necessary arrangements to ensure Bernabe’s removal was seamless,” said Denice Seemiller, acting field office director for ICE Enforcement and Removal Operations Salt Lake City. “His arrest and removal from the United States sends a clear message that we will not tolerate heinous criminals being released into our communities.”
The case prompted one of the largest DEA homicide investigations and resulted in the arrest and conviction of Fonseca Carrillo and fellow Guadalajara cartel leaders, Rafael Caro Quintero and Miguel Angel Félix Gallardo.
Bernabe was arrested in connection with the death on July 29, 1989, after he was admitted to the United States as a non-immigrant visitor in Los Angeles.
In 1990, he was convicted of kidnapping a federal agent, aiding and abetting, violent crimes in aid of racketeering aiding and abetting and accessory after the fact. He was sentenced to life in prison on the kidnapping charge and 10 years each on the others.
In September, a federal court vacated the life sentence and agreed to retry the case. Bernabe pleaded guilty in December 2020 to accessory after the fact and conspiracy to commit racketeering activity and was sentenced to time served.
He was transferred into ICE custody in Salt Lake City and removed from the U.S.
- [LLODO] San Antonio police officer shot in hand; 2 suspects dead, third injured
- [LLODO] California police bodycam footage captures homicide suspect firing at motorcycle officer
- [LLODO] Florida deputy hit by passing truck during traffic stop caught on camera
- [LLODO] Family of Tamir Rice pleads with Justice Department to reopen case into 12-year-old’s death
- [LLODO] Body of US Capitol Officer William Evans returns to Massachusetts hometown
- [LLODO] Murders soared as police ‘pulled back’ amid 2020 protests in major cities, report finds
- [LLODO] Iowa man accused in state trooper’s shooting death ran for sheriff
- [LLODO] Ben Crump: Police, especially in Minnesota, should be on ‘their greatest behavior’
- [LLODO] Democratic Sen. Tim Kaine distances himself from Rashida Tlaib ‘No more policing’ tweet