The $17,493 total spent per pupil is broken down into $1,482 in federal funding, $12,223 in state funding, $3,703 in local funding, and $85 in “miscellaneous” funding.
The total budget for the Baltimore school district is $1.2 billion, 70% of which comes from taxpayer funds, according to Fox 4
Of the 100 largest school districts in the U.S., Baltimore gets the fifth most funding per pupil, a 2020 U.S. Census report shows.
Baltimore has a total of 83,800 enrolled public school students, with 11,273 full-time staff members, 914 certified instructional teachers and 191 total public schools. More than 83% of the students are eligible for free and reduced-price meals.
Augusta Fells, a West Baltimore public school that recently came under fire after Fox 45 published an investigation that found scores of students at the school are failing and may have to repeat grades, gets $5.3 million from taxpayers each year, the outlet reported. The investigations have prompted questions about how the school’s funds are being spent.
Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan on Thursday called for an investigation into the school.
“This is something I’m going to ask the inspector general to immediately look into,” he told Fox 45. “They have to get to the bottom of this and find out who’s responsible.”
- [LLODO] As America’s youth faces mental health ‘crisis,’ Biden admin sets focus on pandemic’s impact on children
- [LLODO] VA father of 3 gives scathing speech with Fairfax County schools still not fully open
- [LLODO] Group inspired by Trump’s 1776 Commission seeks to combat ‘anti-American indoctrination’ in education
- [LLODO] Teachers unions continue negotiations even after 80% of teachers get vaccinated
- [LLODO] California teens can go to an amusement park but can’t go to math class
- [LLODO] Is Education Secretary Cardona fighting hard enough to reopen schools?
- [LLODO] Politics, demographics — not COVID-19 hospitalizations — ‘significantly’ linked to in-person learning: report
- [LLODO] Grassroots organization launches to help parents fight ‘woke indoctrination’ in schools
- [LLODO] Former LA County DA Jackie Lacey deserves share of blame for USC sex-abuse scandal, victim claims