Now, the state has launched an investigation into circumstances surrounding the incident, which occurred on the Gatlinburg Mountain Coaster in Gatlinburg. A representative for attraction did not immediately return a request for comment.
The injured guest, who was not identified, “flew out of the cart while entering the curve just past the Kodak camera,” according to an incident report shared with Fox News. The rider was thrown approximately 10 feet before landing on a section of the coaster’s track.
The guest was transported to a local hospital for treatment of injuries to the head, wrist and ankle.
The Gatlinburg Mountain Coaster was closed following Monday’s incident. The ride, however, was allowed to reopen Tuesday, per a letter from the state’s Amusement Device Unit to Gatinburg Mountain Coaster owner Jon Ogle, and shared with Fox News.
The letter, which described the guest’s injuries as “serious,” confirmed that a third-party investigator deemed the ride to be in compliance with “applicable industry standards.”
Tennessee’s Department of Labor and Workforce Development, which oversees the Amusement Device Unit, has sent a compliance officer to Gatlinburg to gather “additional information,” according to a representative for the department.
In 2016, a woman riding the same Gatlinburg mountain coaster was thrown from a cart on the last turn, suffering injuries to her wrists, knee, head and ribs, the Sevier News Messenger reported at the time. Police who reviewed the incident found the woman, 44, had not been wearing a seat belt.
- [LLODO] Universal Studios Hollywood to reopen on April 16
- [LLODO] Bear visits Tennessee theme park for stroll along treetop walkway, video shows
- [LLODO] Slingshot ride malfunction leaves Florida teens suspended 30-40 feet in the air
- [LLODO] 114-year-old New Jersey theme park sold at auction for $2.37 million
- [LLODO] 114-year-old New Jersey theme park prepares to be auctioned off
- [LLODO] California theme park association hoping to ‘mitigate’ screaming when amusements, thrill rides reopen
- [LLODO] California theme parks allowed to reopen as early as April 1
- [LLODO] Legoland Florida to open Peppa Pig theme park based on animated children’s show
- [LLODO] ‘A Touch of Disney’: Disneyland announces dates, details of ticketed food experience