Jamarius Khalil Dixon, 19, was taken into custody in the Sandersville, Ga., home a week after he and the child’s mother found the boy unresponsive and rushed him to a hospital, an official with the U.S. Marshals Southeast Regional Fugitive Task Force told the Macon Telegraph.
The child, identified as Jayce Gibson, was pronounced dead at the hospital, the Bibb County Sheriff’s Office said in a statement. A cause of death could not be determined at the time.
An autopsy later showed that the 1-year-old died of head trauma, authorities said.
An investigation identified Dixon, who was described as the “roommate/boyfriend” of the child’s mother, as the suspect, the sheriff’s office said.
No details on what led authorities to suspect Dixon were immediately provided.
Dixon was charged with murder and first-degree cruelty to children. He was being held without bond at the Bibb County Law Enforcement Center.
- [LLODO] MLB should return All-Star Game to Atlanta, conservative group says: ‘Baseball went broke for wokeism’
- [LLODO] Vernon Jones, Georgia Dem-turned-Republican, to challenge Kemp for governor’s seat
- [LLODO] Georgia police release video of suspect opening fire on officers during chase
- [LLODO] Warnock, among GOP’s biggest 2022 Senate targets, hauls in big bucks
- [LLODO] Georgia election official warns Biden to stop ‘lies’ about voting law: ‘Someone is going to get hurt’
- [LLODO] Man killed in Georgia after lunging at officers with knife: police
- [LLODO] Georgia officers shot during police chase; 1 suspect dead, another in custody, officials say
- [LLODO] MLB commissioner decided to move All-Star Game after pressure from Stacey Abrams on voting issues: sources
- [LLODO] Georgia Democratic Reps. McBath, Bourdeaux silent after MLB pulls game from their area