A second suspect has been arrested following an overnight manhunt near the Georgia–Florida line that began after a shooting in Georgia left a sheriff’s deputy fighting for his life and a second deputy wounded, according to reports.
Troy Arthur Phillips, 40, was considered armed and dangerous as police sought his capture, the Decatur County Sheriff’s Office said. The sheriff’s office posted at 1:30 p.m. ET Sunday that Phillips was in custody.
No further details on the circumstances leading to Phillip’s arrest or what charges he faces were immediately available. The sheriff’s office had earlier said Phillips was believed to still be in the Brinson area, where the shooting of the two deputies occurred.
The suspect’s brother, 41-year-old Brad Phillips, had been arrested earlier Sunday morning in connection with the shooting, WTXL-TV of Tallahassee reported.
The critically injured Decatur County deputy was airlifted to a hospital in Tallahassee, Fla., after suffering a gunshot wound under one of his arms, according to the station.
The second deputy, from neighboring Seminole County, Ga., suffered a non-life-threatening wound, the station reported.
Neither deputy was immediately identified. The shooting occurred in Brinson, Decatur County, according to WTXL.
The two deputies were participating in a vehicle pursuit as the suspects’ vehicle crossed from Seminole County into Decatur County, not far from the Florida state line, the station reported.
Both deputies were shot with what was believed to be a .30-caliber rifle, according to WTXL.
The suspects’ vehicle had been traveling more than 80 mph during the chase, the report said.
- [LLODO] Texas state trooper shot near Mexia; manhunt underway for suspect: reports
- [LLODO] Seattle massage parlor shooting leaves 1 employee wounded; robbery suspects flee: reports
- [LLODO] Tacoma food bank receives ‘truckloads’ of donations after burglar steals laptops, touches food, defecates
- [LLODO] New Mexico man wanted in connection to 5 killings across 2 states caught in Missouri, authorities say
- [LLODO] Yale student Kevin Jiang’s murder: US Marshals launch ‘nationwide manhunt’ for suspect Qinxuan Pan
- [LLODO] Georgia deputy airlifted in critical condition, another wounded in shooting; manhunt underway: reports
- [LLODO] MIT grad student sought in Yale slaying allegedly stole SUV on day of murder