The recall movement has collected more than 2 million signatures during recent weeks, exceeding the nearly 1.5 million that were needed by Wednesday’s deadline.
County officials have until April 29 to validate the signatures and notify the secretary of state.
ABC completely ignored the latest developments on both “Good Morning America” and “World News Tonight” on both Wednesday and Thursday. There was similarly no mention on “NBC Nightly News” nor on the “CBS Evening News” during that same time period.
NBC spent a total of 24 seconds on Newsom’s political woes on Wednesday’s broadcast of “Today.”
CBS offered the most coverage of the three broadcast networks with a roughly four-minute segment on Wednesday’s “CBS This Morning” and a brief 15 seconds on Thursday’s broadcast.
During the segment, CBS News correspondent Carter Evans appeared concerned that the recall movement was being “hijacked” by the GOP in order to seek the governorship.
“Is there a concern that this recall is being hijacked solely to get a Republican in office in a fairly Democratic state?” Evans asked Randy Economy of Recall Gavin 2020.
“We’re concerned about that,” Economy answered, “but again, the bottom line is, there’s a lot of people who want to get him out of office. Whether it be the Republican Party, the Libertarian Party, we don’t have any control over them.”
Though Newsom’s various lockdown orders and coronavirus mandates generated ire among Californians, it wasn’t until he was spotted at the fancy French Laundry restaurant in Napa County violating his own guidelines in November of last year that the movement gathered steam.
Fox News’ Brooke Singman contributed to this report.
- [LLODO] Newsom says California will ‘fully reopen’ on June 15
- [LLODO] California Gov. Newsom’s AG pick sponsored bill allowing communists to serve in government
- [LLODO] If California Gov. Newsom faces recall, Tom Steyer mulling run as ‘fallback’ Democrat: report
- [LLODO] Gavin Newsom begins amassing war chest to fight recall effort
- [LLODO] CBS reporter asks spokesman for Gavin Newsom recall effort if he’s worried GOP has ‘hijacked’ movement
- [LLODO] Newsom tells CNN he’s a ‘Zoom school’ parent – though his kids returned to private classes months ago: report
- [LLODO] Newsom recall effort hits deadline as activists say they have enough signatures to trigger election
- [LLODO] Newsom accused of suggesting he’d replace Feinstein with a Black person to save face amid recall threat
- [LLODO] California Republican Doug Ose enters Newsom recall election ahead of Wednesday’s petition deadline