Miami Beach police bolstered their forces after clashes with visitors over the weekend, but this is a turnabout for Fort Lauderdale police, which previously dismissed suggestions that they would do the same and claimed the city is “no stranger to large crowds on the beach.”
Fort Lauderdale Sgt. DeAnnna Greenlaw earlier this week told Fox News that the police were “pleased” with how things were running.
A shooting took place the following day.
Police responded shortly before 5 a.m. to a reported shooting outside Club Stereo in Fort Lauderdale’s Himmarshee Village, Local 10 News reported.
The victim, who worked in the area, was taken to a local hospital, where authorities say he is resting in stable condition after successful surgery.
Witnesses saw a fight outside the club before the shooting, though it is unclear whether the fight was related, according to the report.
“They came out the club, they were fighting, they came around the corner, and then we just heard gunshots,” one witness said.
Video of the incident shows a man hitting a woman near the street outside the club.
“There’s been other gunshots around here down the street, so it’s not that surprising that we would have some kind of accident,” John Alvarez, who works in one of the bars near the shooting, told NBC Miami. “It is spring break.”
Police claim that business owners reported a quiet night, but others in the area said that the scene was “wild.”
“All these bars are open until 5 in the morning… and it’s a mess around here,” said David McCormick, who was walking the area Thursday with his wife, Amy. “It’s really gotten bad.”
Fort Lauderdale police did not yet return Fox News’ request for comment on Friday.
Anyone with information is asked to call Fort Lauderdale Police or Broward CrimeStoppers at 954-493-TIPS.
Fox News’ Danielle Wallace contributed to this report.
- [LLODO] Mom of four killed when neighbor’s gun accidentally goes off
- [LLODO] Florida beachgoers form human chain to save swimmer from rough Gulf surf
- [LLODO] Florida driver smashes through traffic arm, jumps Daytona Beach drawbridge
- [LLODO] Florida dad took infant daughter on meth run to get ‘lit’ with friends, police say
- [LLODO] Florida burglary suspect held down by neighbors until cops arrive, police say
- [LLODO] Missing Florida girl, 11, found at home of 22-year-old ‘boyfriend’; suspect facing child sex abuse charges
- [LLODO] Florida teen electrocuted following car crash ID’d as high school senior, JROTC cadet lieutenant, report says
- [LLODO] Who is Joel Greenberg? Florida tax collector facing federal charges is key figure in Matt Gaetz case
- [LLODO] Teenager dies when electrocuted during Florida storm