The Florida teenager who was fatally electrocuted while trying to escape a car fire following a crash has been identified as a local high school senior and cadet lieutenant in the U.S. Navy’s Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps program, according to a local affiliate report.
Valentina Tomashosky, 17, was killed Sunday after exiting her car in Spring Hil, WTVT, the Fox-owned television station in Tampa reported. Police did not respond to Fox News’ request seeking more information.
Tomashosky was navigating the car through severe weather on Sunday afternoon when her car struck a downed power line that had fallen down with a tree earlier in the day, the Florida Highway Patrol and WTVT said.
She stopped the car and its driver’s side caught fire, at which point she climbed out of the vehicle through the passenger side and stepped on the live wire, according to officials and the report.
She could not be saved.
According to the Fox Tampa station, Tomashosky went by the nickname “Val,” and was in her final year at Central High School in Hernando. She was reportedly planning to attend Pasco-Hernando State College.
Tomashosky had risen to the rank of cadet lieutenant in the Navy’s JROTC program, which she had joined four years ago, according to the report.
Her family has reportedly created a scholarship in Valentina’s name.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- [LLODO] Mom of four killed when neighbor’s gun accidentally goes off
- [LLODO] Florida beachgoers form human chain to save swimmer from rough Gulf surf
- [LLODO] Florida driver smashes through traffic arm, jumps Daytona Beach drawbridge
- [LLODO] Florida dad took infant daughter on meth run to get ‘lit’ with friends, police say
- [LLODO] Florida burglary suspect held down by neighbors until cops arrive, police say
- [LLODO] Missing Florida girl, 11, found at home of 22-year-old ‘boyfriend’; suspect facing child sex abuse charges
- [LLODO] Who is Joel Greenberg? Florida tax collector facing federal charges is key figure in Matt Gaetz case
- [LLODO] Teenager dies when electrocuted during Florida storm
- [LLODO] Cheney calls Gaetz allegations ‘sickening,’ stays mum on calls for resignation